There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.

MATTHEW 26:7



Saturday, October 11, 2014

ISABELLA'S LITTLE LACE DRESS




When Isabella was born the nurses had a little lace dress ready for her. We had forgotten to bring her things in all the confusion and distress-that's understandable, don't you think? You can read about some of that in a previous post @
http://cwainscott.blogspot.com/2014/10/isabella-in-gods-hands.html

How I've wished that I had remembered to take the coral colored sweater with matching bonnet I had crocheted for her. 

But back to the lace dress. I'm sure Travis and Erin paid no attention to it as she was being dressed for them. But someone had paid attention and cared enough about grief stricken families to take the time to make the little lace dress. 

It is my understanding that some of these are made from wedding gowns and Isabella's probably was. The lace seems to me to have some vintage, a classic lace that is lined. It is a very simple design with another lace sewed onto the hem. There are covered buttons on the front and lace ties on the back. For something so simple, it is so cherished.

I would love to meet and thank whoever took the time and love to make Isabella's dress. I didn't know anything about it for a couple of weeks until  Mike, our funeral director, told me Isabella had been wearing it, "What did I want him to do with it?" He could dispose of it if I wanted. No, I picked it up that day. It has been put into a keepsake box with other things. It is the only thing Erin and Travis have that touched her. 

When they were making her arrangements, they both brought handkerchiefs. Erin's was a little white patch of fabric that I think she said had been her grandmother's, Travis had one of his Pappaw's to be placed with her and I brought the crocheted sweater and bonnet that was made especially for her.

Travis and Erin are glad they allowed a photographer to come in and take photos at the suggestion of the chaplain. Here is the photo of her little hand that when I looked closely realized that she is wearing the dress.  

How wonderful for someone to make these precious outfits. It means so much. 

And let me say something about the nurses who were with Erin, Isabella and Travis. They have to be so special to do all they did. 

Our grief journey was made a little easier because of these very special people.

God bless all of you
Carolyn Wainscott

No comments:

Post a Comment