There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.

MATTHEW 26:7



Thursday, February 12, 2015

DISASTER OR NOT

It was in the 20's yesterday and our furnace and heat pump were being replaced so the house got a little cool. My son, Jeff, has been so aggravated over the furnace situation last winter and this. Repairmen have been out several times, replaced parts, put more freon in-just patching it up to keep it running. It was probably the original  furnace when the house was built and I was aware when we bought it 1 1/2 years ago what we were getting into.  I told him I couldn't get upset over a furnace when there is so much else going on in our world. I am just thankful to be able to get my house warm.

I thought about calling this piece "When Disaster Strikes" but a disaster is losing your whole home to flood or tornado or financial hardship, a disaster is losing a loved one-especially as we have witnessed in terrorists killing for the whole world to see, a disaster is having your family hungry and not being able to do anything about it. Those are disasters, a furnace biting the dust when it can be replaced is not a disaster. 

Now I don't have a money tree in the back yard with $100 bills for leaves that we can go out and pick, neither did it rain pennies from heaven yesterday and we did have to scrape [I do mean scrape] some $ together but we had a home owners warranty that will take care of most of the expense so we aren't so hard hit.  

I have been accused of living in denial at times, well, a lot of the time because I choose to try and look at the bright side of things-at how much worse things could be, at how much more others are going through, at how very blessed I am. 

As I sit here at my window writing this, it is snowing and the temperature is dropping but my home is nice and warm. Each time a repairman came out I could pay for the repair. Yes, there were other things I would rather have done with the money-buy more fabric, shoes, clothes but I could take care of the necessities. 

So here I am living in denial again, looking at the bright side of having dodged the bullet of having to pay for a major repair out of my Social Security. 

And as I sit here at my window, watching the snow, I am choosing to look on the bright side of being 75 years old with good health, a cancer survivor twice over, in my nice warm home with food in the pantry and clothes in my closet and thanking my LORD and Saviour for all my blessings.

Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; Eph 5:20 

God bless and keep you
Carolyn Wainscott

Psalm 23
David's confidence in God's grace
A Psalm of David.
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Psalms 23:1-6 

3 comments:

  1. It’s great that you’re being very thankful for all that you’ve come upon, despite all the unfortunate situations you’ve been through. Though a broken furnace might not be considered a disaster, it still is a terrible situation to encounter – especially during the cold seasons. It’s nice to know that you’ve had that fixed already. Anyway, I hope you haven’t had any problems with it lately. Thanks for sharing this with us, Carolyn. All the best!


    Will Merritt @ Patterson Heating & Air, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your positive outlook is amazing. It's good to know that you still consider yourself lucky, despite the negative things happened to you. Well, you're definitely on the right track. Broken furnace is not disaster but merely a pet peeve. Besides, you were able to do something to make it functional again. In any way, thanks for sharing this, Carolyn. Keep the positive vibe going!

    Andy Jones @ AQS Comfort

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Carolyn! Broken furnace must not be considered as a disaster compared to the things that are happening in the world which are so much worse. I admire you for keeping an optimistic and positive outlook on life. Keep that up and no enough mischances would be enough to bring you down. Thank you for that wonderful post! :)

    Shayne Gustafson @ Berico Heating and Air

    ReplyDelete