There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.

MATTHEW 26:7



Thursday, November 13, 2014

ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE-JUST IN GENERAL

In the news this morning is the report of three of our young sailors being attacked by a mob while on shore leave. They were taunted, sprayed painted, plastic bags put over their heads then chased to their ship. Here we are a couple of days past Veterans Day and we are reminded again of the sacrifices the members of our Armed Forces make every day even while on leave. So again, I thank God for them and ask Him to shield and protect them and thank them for their service.

I thank God and our military, again, for being able to sit here with my coffee in front of the little heater that looks like a fireplace with rolling flames. I can sit here in safety and comfort. I can sit here in religious freedom with no fear of someone breaking in my door to take away my Bible. 

Sappy? I don't care-I need to be thankful-I am thankful. I know that I am extremely blessed even though I am a widow, I have adequate income for all my needs and more. I don't know the statistics but I kinda, sorta remember that even on Social Security, I am probably among the richest 10% of the world. 

A question posted in one of the blogs I read was "how does the computer and the internet affect your life?" My reply-I love having my computer and being on the internet. I am self taught on both-they didn't teach computer back in my day-shoot, we didn't even know what a computer was-at that point they were pretty much the figment of someone's imagination and what imagination it was. I can barely slog my way around this world of airwaves being able to send things instantly. My grandchildren think I rode in on a dinosaur. 

Because of all this technology I can design and market my designs, keep up with new products and ideas, meet other designers across the world that I would never have the opportunity-the list goes on and on-

So, yes, I am very thankful for my computer that has enabled me to share with you the love of God. 

As I watched the news this morning, this poem I wrote in 1998 came to mind so I drug out that big notebook with my writings and other saved  witicisms to find it. Maybe one of these days that big notebook can be eliminated  if I will take the time with all my tech knowledge to make a folder [yes, see, I can kind of talk computerese]  that can just be clicked through instead of dragging it out and flipping through page by page-trust me-it is a really big notebook that has  funny, sad, smart, dumb   things that would make you wonder about my intellect. 

-THOUGHTS, AS I PUT AWAY MY LAUNDRY-

I've got to build more closets and it has to be done soon
'cause the next time I go shopping, I won't have any room
 to put that Christmas outfit that will look so good on me 
or all the other things I'll get on that shopping spree.

I also need more cupboard space for all that extra food
 to make those special dishes that my family thinks I should.
The new place settings that were added will make everything so fab
but now I'll need more silverware, the stuff I have is drab.

There's a white jeep at church I wouldn't mind having.
My jeep's ok, but still, it's such a dark old thing.
But then I looked at the next spot and really started thinkin'
"what joy there'd be if I could have that great big, shiny Lincoln."

 Finally, clothes put away, I sat down for a spot o' tea
and trying to catch up on things, turned on the news to see.
Nothing good was told about-just rapes and wars and drugs
and adulteries and aids disease and roaming gangs of thugs.

Then I saw that mother staring with vacant, horrified eyes
at her child she held, having to hear his pitiful hungry cries,
she tried in vain, to cover him for a little dignity
and I thought, but for you, Lord, that poor soul could be me.

I should be thankful, Lord, for never seeing my child in starvation
but most of all for Your Son who came for my salvation. 
Please forgive me, Father, for my wantonness and greed
and help me to remember You are all I really need. 
© 1998-Carolyn Wainscott

May God bless and keep you and all yours today
Carolyn Wainscott


No comments:

Post a Comment