There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.

MATTHEW 26:7



Wednesday, November 19, 2014

ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE-FRIENDS

Is it really so that during your lifetime you will only have a handful of true friends? That's what I've heard. As I muse back over my lifetime, that sounds about right------------------------

Let's see:

There was Helen through middle and high school-we both married right out of school, her husband was in the service and they were stationed states away. I visited in their home once and she and her family in mine once. It has been almost 50 years since we have had contact. 

- feisty little Ruby who told you in a New York minute what she thought but she was as honest as the day is long. She raised 3 daughters on her own having sometimes 2 or 3 part time jobs along with a full time job. Our lives were as different as night and day but we encouraged  each other in the 30 some odd years we knew each other before she passed a few years ago. She was always a breath of fresh air. 

-Jan-another spunky little gal who had raised her 3 children on her own. She had been abused by her first husband but you wouldn't know it unless you were around her long enough to gain her confidence . She would do anything she could for you. Always fun to be with, always encouraging-she and Ruby were part of our close knit group before she died on the first day of 1992 of cancer. Jan, Ruby and I were the same age. 

-Mary. We met at church when Len and I moved to Indiana in 2000. I made that little country church my home church from my first visit. We became hard and fast friends with so much in common-we sewed, we shopped, we sewed, we prayed, we sewed, we canned, did I mention we sewed. She learned and became as addicted as I am to quilting even through all her protests that she would never quilt.

-Jennifer. She also attended that little country church, sings so beautifully and took up sewing/quilting with Mary and me. We've taught Bible School together, attended quilt shows, Sunday church dinners and when a call goes out for Prayer, she is one to count on. Jennifer has been battling breast cancer for several years now also.

-Valarie. We met at a presentation Mary and I did to start a quilting class and she also became hooked on quilting and joined Jennifer, Mary and me in our quilting ventures. Valarie's standing order to me is: "if you need anything, call me, I will be there!" She and husband, Ken, have transferred to Texas but she has already sent a photo of her new home with an invite and I haven't seen Texas so who knows-I'll bet they have quilt shows and fabric shops down there.

-Doris. Again, another friend at church. She and her husband were part of my Sunday School class in our former church. She and I both became widows over 2 years ago. You can see some of the encouraging things that arrive so timely she has made and sent in my post: "Little Things Mean A Lot" cwainscott.blogspot.com/2014/10/little-things-mean-lot .  We attend Bible study together, lunch together and she is one of those prayer warriors I can count on, she is a true sister in Christ.

-Betty. The Energizer Bunny-that's our Betty. She has chronic lung disease but keeps on going and going and going. Has been on oxygen for years and she also became a widow several years ago but doesn't let any of that stop her from teaching Bible studies and sending encouraging emails that arrive at just the right time. Another long time church friend, another prayer partner, another encourager, another ray of sunshine.

Here is my handful of good friends-outside my family, that is and that is another post altogether. I've had few good friends outside my family because of such great friends in my family but that is another post.
------------------
Then there are these two precious people, Ralph and Mildred

They are 92 years old. Their 68th wedding anniversary is December 7. My sisters, Jackie and Shirley,  and I had the privilege of lunch with them yesterday in their home. We got to be with them last week for the first time since our mother died over 2 years ago. Mom, Mildred and Ralph grew up together and went to school together in Kentucky. They have remained in constant contact in all those years. They watched us grow up. Talk about lifetime, longtime friends-this is it-true friendship.
---------------------
What about your good friends? Think on them-not on those who have disappointed you or the times even your good friends may have come up short.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Phil 4:8 

May God bless and keep you and all yours today
Carolyn Wainscott

No comments:

Post a Comment