There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.

MATTHEW 26:7



Sunday, September 28, 2014

GRIEF-WHAT DO YOU DO?

There has surely been enough to go around in our family as in many other families and in time every family. 

What do we do-there is a natural progression of grief-shock, anger, tears, numbness, hopelessness, depression, listlessness, restlessness.  What can we do? 

Let me tell you about Pam. Pam is my sister's sister-in-law. She has extreme health issues including just coming through a bout of cancer and the most devastating thing a parent can experience-the sudden death of her only child, Tony, in June of this year.

My heart goes out to her. There isn't anything to be said that eases the pain but I was going through the same thing in the illness & passing of son, Rick, which wasn't so very sudden. Then when I was almost beginning to breath, my great, granddaughter, Isabella, was stillborn. [I am trying to get ready to share these-I don't want to be maudlin, or have a pity party but just share-that is one of the ways I can cope and maybe help someone else]

But you see, Pam, in her physical pain and deep heartache was working on an afghan for Isabella. I don't know when she started it, I think, maybe for a shower we were going to have in June before all this happened. I'll find out but haven't been able to talk with her yet. 

At any rate, she so touched my heart when she sent the afghan a few days ago for me to give to Travis and Erin, Isabella's mommy and daddy. She wanted them to have it now and for me not to hold it for a future time. She was sending her love and prayers out of her own heartache. 

   
  It is in rainbow colors and so very soft that it is one of those that a baby holds onto and carries around for years until it is nothing but threads. The afghan is in one of those beautiful storage boxes that will be put away with some other things. Maybe one of these days it will be brought out for another baby to be snuggled in or kept in the box. Either way, it is a true gift of love and caring and doing something for someone else when your own world has fallen down around your ears. 

What can we do then. Like Pam, reach out to others, God bless her.

Carolyn Wainscott

No comments:

Post a Comment